Today is Valentine's Day and I am one that loves homemade gifts from the heart. My sweetheart, Jim, has Celiacs Disease, which is an autoimmune disease triggered by eating wheat or foods with gluten. So in keeping with all the buzz about the aphrodisiac effect of chocolate, I decided a flourless (hence, no gluten) chocolate cake would be my gift.
This Recipe is from my amazing friend, Deb Mackey's family archives with her note as follows:
"Here’s an absolutely FAB recipe for a flourless chocolate cake that is to die for, and can be tres elegant,depending on how you gussy it up. I frequently plate it on a swirl of raspberry coulee for especially discerning friends.
Every one I’ve ever made it for has raved, and it became the birthday cake of choice for every man in my life. And for some of their subsequent wives’ too, I might add.
I know Jim will enjoy it."
Jackie Burnham’s Flourless Chocolate Cake
10” springform pan, greased (or wax/parchment paper will do)
1 12 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ c. unsalted butter
6 eggs – separated, room temperature
1 c. sugar
½ c chopped pecans
1 Tbs. Bailey’s Irish Cream
½ tsp. vanilla
1 pinch cream of tartar
2 c. whipping cream
¼ c. powdered sugar
2 Tbls. Bailey’s Irish Cream
2 oz. chocolate curls
1. Melt chips, with butter, over hot water
2. Beat yolks in large bowl ( 5 mins., or until thick)
3. Beat in ½ c. sugar, 1 Tbls. at a time
4. Stir in chocolate, pecans, vanilla and Bailey’s
5. Beat whites with cream of tartar to soft peak
6. Gradually add remaining ½.c. remaining sugar. Beat stiff, not dry
7. Fold ¼ of whites into the chocolate cake mix
8. Fold the mix into the remaining whites
9. Pour into pan and bake 30 minutes @ 350 d.
10. Reduce oven to 275. Continue to bake 30 minutes
11. Turn off oven. Let cake stand in oven with door slightly ajar. About 30 minutes
12. Remove from oven. Dampen towel and place on top of cake for 5 minutes. Remove
13. Top of cake will crack and fall. Cool cake in pan
14. Remove springform when cool. Transfer cake to platter
15. Beat cream to soft peak
16. Beat in powdered sugar and remaining Bailey’s. Spoon over top of cake and smooth
17. Sprinkle with chocolate curls
19. Refrigerate 6 hours. Let stand at room temp for 30 minutes before serving
I hope he does enjoy it!!