Friday, July 2, 2010

Carole's Concoctions

As we meander into the 4th of July weekend I first wanted to reflect on what it is to be an American - and it just isn't all about the apple pie! We have the freedoms here in the USA to be and think freely; to embrace diversity and celebrate our independence through our diversity.

Ok, so what's cookin' in my kitchen this weekend?  Right now I have some vegetable soup on the stove - a great way to use some of the greens I have amassed in my fridge from the CSA. And because it's been quite chilly it will be a welcome item on the menu!!







My thoughts on food right now are to keep things simple like a spice rubbed flank steak, leafy green salad, beet salad, broccoli and fresh blueberries.
Here's my favorite spice rub recipe:
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix together, then rub into flank steak.  Place flank steak in a gallon freezer bag with any extra rub and place in fridge for at least 8 hours for maximum flavor.  Grill on stove top or outdoor grill - your choice! Slice it thinly against the grain and serve over salad or with potatoes (salad or roasted new) and any other farm fresh veggies.
Celebrate your independence!!  I plan on doing the same :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment